“Every year in Ontario, tens of thousands of dogs and cats, are euthanized (put down) because homes cannot be found for them. Pet owners must take responsibility for their companion animals by having them spayed or neutered.” (The Importance of Spaying/Neutering Your Pet, OVMA)
Spaying and neutering refer to the surgical sterilization of an animal. This is typically performed at 6 months of age. In addition to preventing unwanted reproduction, there are many other health benefits.
Benefits of Spaying
- Prevents pregnancy and the complications arising from pregnancy and delivery.
- Eliminates the heat cycle.
- Prevents unwelcome males from trying to seek out your female pet in heat.
- Reduces the urge to roam.
- Reduces or eliminates the possibility of disease in the reproductive system.
Benefits of Neutering
- Reduces tendency to mark household.
- Reduces urge to roam.
- Reduces aggression towards other dogs.
- Reduces unwanted sexually oriented behaviors such as humping and marking.
- Eliminates testicular tumors and reduces prostate gland problems.